Re: [exim] control = submission

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] control = submission
Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On 30/10/2006 12:08, Robert Cates wrote:
>> awhile back I saw something about 'control = submission' in exim 4.5x. Can
>> somebody please tell me what that means, and what I would want to use it
>> for. I'm running exim 4.54.
>
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.63/doc/html/spec_html/ch43.html#SECTsubmodnon
>
> It's all there... and I'm sure some other posters (Hi, Bill!) will pipe
> up soon enough with their usage of it :-)

Got me!

;-)

> In a nutshell, it's a method of making a message which arrives over
> TCP/IP be handled as though it's a locally generated message on the MTA
> host itself. Most commonly this is used for authenticated MUAs on the
> "submission" port, 587 (which is I guess where the naming logic came
> from), but it can be used for all manner of modes.
>
> Graeme

ACK. Useful, for example, for NOT requiring an rDNS or HELO match acl 'pass'
and the like from your own MUA clients.

As these are generally arriving from dynamic IP they would fail such tests in,
for example acl_smtp_connect unless 'exempted' somehow, and cannot be
'authenticated' until acl_smtp_helo.

That said, we actually use a different 'somehow', but I have enough ankle-bites
for the month, so.. 'nuf said.

Bill