Re: [exim] TLS Authentication at gmail failing

Author: John Robinson
To: Hadron Quark
CC: exim4 mailing list, Marc Haber
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS Authentication at gmail failing
On 28/10/2006 14:39, Hadron Quark wrote:
> Marc Haber <mh+exim-users@???> writes:
>> If you do not know that much about SMTP, then you should probably not
>> run a mail server on the public Internet.
> I want to be able to send emails via an smtp smart host using the well
> publicised exim4 stuff. I dont wish to open my machine as a relay or a receiver.

He has a point, but it should be possible to get the odd email out from
a Linux box, and it's less likely you'll end up with an open relay using
exim than with <any other>.

[....]
> This all sounds ridiculously difficult.

It's not, it's just that (like too many big providers) gmail's servers
have many and inconsistent-looking names.

> I find it incredible that I cant
> reference "smtp.gmail.com" as normal email clients do.

Well, you can, you just have to use "*" or perhaps "*.gmail.com";
smtp.gmail.com is a nickname for several gmail servers. exim isn't an
email client, it's an email server, but it is quite capable of being a
client on behalf of other programs on your box.

> Maybe you're right : maybe exim4 isnt't what I want or need.

It may sound difficult but exim's almost certainly simpler than any
other solution.

Cheers,

John.