Re: [exim] Exim with TMDA and virtual hosts

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Vincent Danen
Para: W B Hacker
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Exim with TMDA and virtual hosts
* W B Hacker <wbh@???> [2006-10-29 02:20:25 +0800]:

> Marc Sherman wrote:
> > Vincent Danen wrote:
> >> Any tips would be appreciated.
> >
> > Don't use TMDA. It creates collateral spam.
> >
> > - Marc
> >

> Worse than that.
>
> We tried it. And removed it.
>
> What do you tell a client who has failed to renew his <domain>.<tld> on time
> because he missed the machine-generated heads-up from his registrar?
>
> Or a utility bill notification?
>
> Machines don't DO TMDA responses, and neither will very many humans.

Bill, Marc... thanks for your opinions but I wasn't asking for opinion
on using TMDA. I'm pretty sure my message didn't ask if anyone thought
it was a good idea and frankly, it's up to me, not you, as to whether or
not to use it.

I've used TMDA in the past. It works great. I plan to use it in the
future. I know all the "risks" associated with it, and I know the
general feelings toward it. *However*, that being said, I still intend
to use it. I don't intend to apply it across the board for everyone,
but those who want it can certainly use it as well. They will be made
clear of the "risks" associated with it.

For myself, I keep a close eye on the queue (for my personal mail) and
will deal with any important unresponded stuff and deal with it.
Whitelists work great for that purpose. Most of my clients do not deal
with domain renewals... I deal with them on their behalf, so that issue
is moot. I also anticipate that maybe 10% of my clients will be
interested, and that's fine... I'm setting it up more for me than for
them.

As far as human response, I don't really care. My work email is
separate from my personal email and when it comes to my personal email,
I don't much care if someone responds or not. Work is different, which
is why it has a different server, and an entirely different email
client. But for my personal mail, I am interested, and pursuing, TMDA
because even SA, RBLs, etc. can't catch everything.

So, frankly, unless you have some pointers (which is what I asked for),
you can keep your personal opinions to yourself.

Thanks.

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;