Re: [exim] Re(2): truncated messages with mailman

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: John W. Baxter
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Exim Users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Re(2): truncated messages with mailman
On 10/26/06 11:30 AM, "Bill Hacker" <wbh@???> wrote:

> ISTR a time when some MUA broke all attachments over a certain size into
> multiple 'chunks'.
>
> A Mailing List Mangler might no longer expect to have to deal with that.

I don't think a mailing list manager would deal with it, but rather pass
along each separate message. The hope is that the recipient can piece the
thing together--a hope not often realized today.

That MUA was Outlook Express (perhaps among others).

Controlled in Tools-->Accounts select the account, Properties-->Advanced
Bottom-most setting, under Sending:
<checkbox> "Break apart messages larger than <settable> K.

Long ago, in at least one OE version, this beast defaulted to on, at some
smallish value (25K?). We learned of it when we got a support call which,
paraphrased, ran "Help, I sent one message and my friend received 23."

It was actually a useful feature in the days of dialup, as one didn't have
to resend an entire large message if the phone connection died midstream.

However, that seems not to be what's happening here, as the Exim logs show
the message shrinking on its way through Mailman.

The setting is not that easy to find--it happens that I had to find it last
Saturday morning at the weekly problem solving session of the local computer
club. And it appears based on the sender's having tried a message to
himself that OE didn't put back together that even Outlook Express in its
modern form has forgotten how to piece the parts of the message together.
Alternatively, it is possible that it does so only if the recipient selects
the first message of the batch to open.

--John