Re: [exim] Bounce without detailed LMTP error?

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Marten Lehmann
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Bounce without detailed LMTP error?
Hello,

>>The failures are not exim's fault, but as the sender of such an email I
>>only get a bounce message without any hint on the problem that occured:
>
> That's because many sysadmins do not want to allow such "internal"
> information to be passed outside.

well, but in many cases the quota would be exceeded with the new email,
so that is the reason for cyrus to refuse the email. If the sender
receives a "quota exceeded", he knows that the recipient should clean up
his mailbox. But if he only gets "message couldn't be delivered" he
suspects us to have configured anything wrong.

> After all, what can the outside sender do about it? Mail the postmaster
> is about all, and you can do that either way.

Mostly they contact the recipient by phone to tell them about the
failure. Then again the recipient firsts suspects us and not himself.

> However, despite what I said above, the code in the smtp transport is
> supposed to let the message through to the user for LMTP errors. Are you
> using the smtp transport in LMTP mode? Or are you using an lmtp local
> tramsport? I suspect the latter.

Yes, I'm using the latter as I needed to send the email by a socket, not
tcp.

> Aha! I see that the lmtp transport is different from the smtp transport
> in this respect. I will do some experiments, but not till next week at
> the earliest. Meanwhile, if you want to experiment, edit the
> transports/lmtp.c file, find the statements containing "LMTP error after",
> and insert
>
>    setflag(addr, af_pass_message);   /* Allow message to go to user */

> immediately after them (there are 3 instances). WAIT! That will only
> work for the second two cases. I'll have to do more work for the first
> instance (line 177).

Sounds like I shouldn't dig in there, I'm not so well experienced in
c-programming.

Regards
Marten