Re: [exim] truncated messages with mailman

Author: John W. Baxter
To: richard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] truncated messages with mailman
On 10/26/06 4:58 AM, "Graeme Fowler" <graeme@???> wrote:

> Yes, but something much more interesting exists in these log snippets:
>
>> 2006-10-26 10:40:29 J7QIRH-000428-FA <= rh231@??? H=tid.hi.inet (tid)
>> [10.95.64.10] P=esmtp S=146989
>> id=00e201c6f8da$2683d210$a31b5f0a@PC216348133666
>
> OK, the message arrives and is 146989 bytes in length. Great. Now it
> gets passed to mailman:
>
>> 2006-10-26 10:40:30 J7QIRH-000428-FA => |/home/mailman/mail/mailman.exe post
>> test-list <test-list@???> R=system_aliases T=address_pipe
>> 2006-10-26 10:40:30 J7QIRH-000428-FA Completed
>
> And now it comes back from mailman:
>
>> 2006-10-26 10:40:32 J7QIRK-00035C-O4 <= test-list-bounces@???
>> H=localhost (kitano.hi.inet) [127.0.0.1] P=esmtp S=67197
>> id=00e201c6f8da$2683d210$a31b5f0a@PC216348133666
>
> Notice - as you did - the truncated nature of the message. It's almost
> certainly mailman itself, or an interaction between Exim and mailman
> which is causing this.

Well, the filtering out of the HTML part of the message (which I assume is
there since Richard is using Outlook Express, which wants to do that), would
roughly cut the message in half. But Richard says his Mailman isn't set to
strip the HTML part.

My next idea (pending seeing the Mailman screen shot) would be to resend
that test message, but increase its size (copy from the sent mail (not the
message as received back), and paste twice into a new message should do it),
and see what happens. I'm still bothered, though, by the original message
about ALL messages being truncated at 47K.

And then do the same after forcing Outlook Express to send plain text only
for the test message.

The only other thing I can think of is some odd interaction among Exim,
Mailman, and Cygwin.

--John