Re: [exim] pre-compile exim configuration

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: David Saez Padros
CC: exim-users, gdub
Assumpte: Re: [exim] pre-compile exim configuration
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, David Saez Padros wrote:

> what about pre-compiling regex expressions ? will this speedup
> message preocessing ??

How many zillions of regexes do you use? Have you read Jeffrey Friedl's
book and crafted them so as to be as efficient as possible? There is
often a lot of performance to be gained. Nevertheless, I still don't
think it would speed things up much. Are you running out of processor
power? Are you using things like SpamAssassin and/or databases? My
feeling is that they will use much more processing time than you would
gain if you were able to do this.

> in the other hand it will be relative simple to strip comments,
> empty lines and leading white spaces, join split lines and resolve
> .includes so the config file will be smaller and faster to preocess.

Indeed, and you could trivially write an "install_exim_config" script to
do that if you think it will make a significant difference.

Anybody like to try that and give us some measurements? My betting is
that you won't be able to measure anything significant, but of course I
may be wrong.