Re: [exim] Really Cool Trick

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Really Cool Trick
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Marc Haber wrote:

> >> Some signup forms don't let you use + in the localpart.
> >>
> >> For those, I do:
> >>
> >> # cd $USERPREFS/$DOMAIN
> >> # ln -s existinglocalpart newlocalpart
> >
> >Then another separator would be in order, I suppose.
>
> If so, don't use ---. A number of brainded web applications won't
> allow that, either. Dumbness of web developers does not seem to have
> limits.

And indeed, it seems most non-alphanums have problems somewhere or other
... I came to the conclusion that '-' or '_' were the only real sane
choices for the most part - I dislike the latter in email addresses, and
the former is already extensively used so isn't very 'distinct' and
parsing needs to be clever (when is a suffix not a suffix?).

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK