Re: [exim] require_verify = sender + RBLs - clarification on…

Autor: Alon
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] require_verify = sender + RBLs - clarification on the How-to
Alas, someone picked up on this part of the question :))

OK.. thankfully,. I don't think I'm at the break even point. I have only
200+ domains with 500 mailboxes and even at
extreme spam time I can't imagine reaching more than 1,000 emails per mail
box per day,. so provided that the
threshold is above the 1 million, I'm "safe" for the time being.

Obviously, following your explanation, there is no need to setup an rsync
version of a local mailing. That is really something
I was hoping not to engage and based on your explanation, I'm saved from
that pain :).

As for the listing of the RBLs, I found this service to be of great help to
identify if an IP is listed or not,. and it kinda gave me
a directions on who to add to the RBL filters:

http://openrbl.org/client/

It makes it easy to identify which lists are more effective in terms that
"if you see it more that few times... you might want
to add it to your deny list".

With the exception of BLARS which seem to hit almost on every spam, I've
seen lots of spam captured in combined.njabl and xbl-xbl.spamhause

dnslists = sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
dnslists = relays.ordb.org
dnslists = dnsbl.sorbs.net=127.0.0.5
dnslists = bl.spamcop.net
dnslists = combined.njabl.org
dnslists = blackholes.njabl.org
dnslists = blackholes.five-ten-sg.com
dnslists = dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net
dnslists = psbl.surriel.com
dnslists = cbl.abuseat.org
dnslists = dnsbl.sorbs.net!=127.0.0.6
dnslists = rhsbl.sorbs.net/$sender_address_domain

Just to clarify.. you indicated: "Not all DNSBLs are available for free
rsync of course ",. I'm assuming (a dangerous word I know)
that, this isn't a problem with just adding them as filters and using them
to filter out spam.

My only concern is,. how do I SAFELY whitelist specific domains. I can't use
whitelist_domains as this is a big no-no as it
allows for open relay and of course that is the last thing I want to have.

Is there a way to add specific domains to an ACL group so that I can still
allow traffic for specific domains? Perhaps with extra
checks to minimize exposure?

If this help in any way. .this is a code bit from a different user:

# host name based !

drop message = Forged Microsoft, connection denied!
senders = *@microsoft.com
condition = ${if match {$sender_host_name}{\Nmicrosoft.com$\N}{no}{yes}}
delay = 20s

#helo based !

drop message = Forged HELO: you are not $sender_helo_name
condition = ${if match {$sender_helo_name}\
{^(gmail\.com|msn\.com|yahoogroups\.com|aol\.com)\$}}
delay = 20s

AND, this is how I have my filters setup:

# deny using .spamhaus
  deny message = Email blocked by SPAMHAUS SBL+XBL- to unblock see
http://www.myserver.com/spamlistschecker.html
       # only for domains that do want to be tested against RBLs
       domains = +use_rbl_domains
       dnslists = sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org

# deny using ordb
  deny message = Email blocked by ORDB - to unblock see
http://www.myserver.com/spamlistschecker.html
       # only for domains that do want to be tested against RBLs
       domains = +use_rbl_domains
       dnslists = relays.ordb.org

and on and on with each and every filter.

Thanks,

- Alon
js@???