Re: [exim] Converting from Qmail to Exim

Autor: Stuart Gall
A: SeattleServer.com
CC: exim-users, Don O'Neil
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Converting from Qmail to Exim

On 20 Oct 2006, at 07:05, SeattleServer.com wrote:

> On Thursday 19 October 2006 09:39, Don O'Neil wrote:
>> Is there a utility to convert qmail mail files into the exim mailfile
>> format? We're using DirectAdmin's exim implementation, but want to
>> move our
>> old mail files (one file per mail format) from qmail to the new
>> system.
>
> You really want to use maildir instead of whatever you're calling
> "exim
> mailfile format" (probably mbox I guess). It has numerous advantages.

Many of my clients are video production companies with 20Mb per email
I find with bsd mail spools when the drop gets to 250Mb or so the
pop3 server take so long to respond to stat that the UA's time out
and most ask for the password again.
The user invariably clicks OK thus resetting their password to null
string and locking them out.

I suppose that a better pop3 server with an indexing facility would
be an option, but I decided to convert all my clients over to maildir
format. Which has corrected the problem.

One of the ways this can be done is to write a short script to
resubmit all the mail to the new configuration, this does messup the
headers a bit, but 99% of users don't notice.