Re: [exim] UCEPROTECT Blacklists and why callouts are abusiv…

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: W B Hacker
Para: exim users
Asunto: Re: [exim] UCEPROTECT Blacklists and why callouts are abusive
Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> >> In the best case (when there isn't a specific spammer actively
> >> forging just our domain) we see about 100 times as many abusive
> >> callouts (ones not in response to mail we sent) as
> >> legitimate/excusable callouts (ones caused by mail that actually
> >> came from us), and about 10% of our incoming SMTP connections are
> >> from blowback sources (callouts, C/R and bounce blowback - we
> >> can't reliably distinguish them).
>
> David> so for this 10% you don't know how many bounces are callouts
> David> or real bounces ? then how you know which are abusive and
> David> which not ?
>
> All of them are abusive, because all of them are an attempt to send
> either a bounce, a C/R message or a callout in response to mail that
> we did not send.
>
> >> Having a whitelist for known _legitimate_ senders does not reduce
> >> in any way the number of _abusive_ callouts you do, by definition.
>
> David> what you perceive as abusive callouts are protective in my
> David> point of view.
>
> But you're forcing me to devote _my_ resources to protecting _your_
> network. How is this not abusive?

Because, dear David, not ONE DAMN BIT of this whole smtp shebang works if we DO
NOT try to help each other within commonly agreed channels!

Handling a few liteweight verifications for others is the quid pro quo for their
also helping *you* by trying to reduce abuse *overall*.

If you are being *overwhelmed* with forgeries, try more intelligent filtering.

How many come from IP's that lack a PTR? rDNS is cached very effectively.

And how hard is it to put some /24 or /8 into your firewall that - per their own
netblock holders, not just some contentious RBL - are NOT SUPPOSED to *ever*
send mail?

Bill