Re: [exim] conducive.org

Author: David Woodhouse
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] conducive.org
On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 19:30 +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> David Woodhouse wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 18:43 +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> >
> >>As we have no such user as:
> >>gandalf.llorien.org-1159383911-testing@???
> >>This was neither....
> >

> > That's done in order to reduce the load on the server we call out to.
>
> Works very well, too!
>
> The LBL rejection it eventually sets up (not always right away) is a very
> liteweight process, and thereafter we get *zero* load on the mailstore.

You can achieve a zero load on the mailstore by unplugging its network
cable, if that's really your top priority.

> > While we happen to be connected after a successful callout, we try a
> > second RCPT with an address which is fairly sure to fail.
>
> and which RFC and paragraph defines how *those* SHOULD / MUST be responded to?

RFC2821 defines the responses to RCPT TO:

Either the server accepts the RCPT, in which case Exim won't bother with
further callouts on the assumption that they'll all 'succeed' even for
invalid addresses.

Or the server rejects the RCPT, in which case Exim assumes that callouts
are effective for the site in question, and may do further callouts for
other addresses at the same domain.

--
dwmw2