Re: [exim] re [TLS Problem]

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] re [TLS Problem]
Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Hill Ruyter wrote:
>

>>When I stop exim (I use invoke-rc.d exim4 <stop> <start>)
>>I find that there is still a process running for exim after I have stopped
>>it
>

> All you are stopping is the Exim daemon. Other Exim processes that
> happen to be running (receiving a message, delivering a message) are not
> affected. Because of the way Exim is designed, there is no concept of
> "stopping Exim". Analogy: think about something like telnet or ssh. You
> can stop the daemon that listens for incoming connections, but there is
> no concept of "stopping telnet" or "stopping ssh" - i.e. of preventing
> the command "telnet" or "ssh" from being run. Similarly, you can't stop
> a person or process from running /sbin/exim (or whatever the binary is
> called). The daemon is not needed to receive a local message or do
> deliver it (either locally or remotely). The only way to prevent that
> happening is to remove the command, or break the configuration.

That is precisely what is required IF/AS/WHEN, for example one is tailing the
log of an experimental configuration and spots a serious glitch that might/has
left a relay-hole:

killall exim-4.63-0

...doing the same to sshd, OTOH, means one had best have *very long arms* or
responsive site-techs if the server is not close by..

;-)

Bill