Re: [exim] UCEPROTECT Blacklists and why callouts are abusiv…

Author: Zbigniew Szalbot
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] UCEPROTECT Blacklists and why callouts are abusive
Hello,

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Chris Edwards wrote:

> The classic DNSBL argument! Assuming they are muppets, they will
> ultimately be ignored, with few mail admins using them to block. If
> however enough mail admins are using them to block as to cause pain to
> those listed, then one might at least sit and think whether or not their
> listing policy has some merit afterall.

And has it? I was blocked NOT because I bouced viruses, NOT because I used
callouts and NOT because I spew spam (which I haven't) but only because
they - as many other similar thoughtless RBL folks - have blocked a whole
IP range where I happened to have my IP. Now, why am I being held
responsible for what other clients of the national ISP are doing?

I have already contacted my ISP to act on my behalf but frankly what
chances do I stand of them doing anything if you take into account that
this is the largest national provider?

My mail server is properly configured.
I have never sent a single spam message.
I have a revdns.
I do not use callouts.
I etc., etc.

Merit in their policy? No kidding!