Re: [exim] changing log output?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] changing log output?
Andreas Pettersson wrote:

> Marten Lehmann wrote:
>

>><snip>
>>Btw., the mainlog is still hard to read as it is being cluttered up be
>>the reject log entries. I remember, that long time ago it was announced
>>that this will be changed in a future release. Is it that hard the keep
>>the reject-log entries out of the mainlog?
>>

> I second that. I had about 95% reject lines (and other 'trash' like "no
> IP addr found for ...") in the mainlog and found no other way to fix
> this than block the sewers (Comcast, RoadRunner and Verizon) in the
> firewall instead of having them rejected. I could of course set up a
> separate mail server and redirect connections from the sewers to this
> one where it then gets properly rejected, but it requires something I
> don't have right now, time.

Exim's logging is *fully* configurable, both as to format (such as time) and
trigger-event.

See 'log_selector' and the '+' and '-' options list.

In the extreme case, you can shut off nearly everything except what you
specifically generate in your own acl's with 'logwrite' or 'log_message'.

Even there, you can decide *which* log the text is put into with:

:main:
:reject:
:panic:

- at the start of the text.

You can even use the otherwies (hopefully) idle 'paniclog' to build .csv format
files for upload to a DB or spreadsheet:

log_write = :panic:,<field1>,<field2>,<field 'n'>

Bill