Re: [exim] Adding a per-recipient message header

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Adding a per-recipient message header
* on the Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 09:08:01PM +0800, W B Hacker wrote:

>> It may come as a surprise to you to find out that most people on this
>> list aren't c programmers, or aren't good enough c programmers to
>> contribute code. Does this mean they should shut up and
>> "give it a rest" ? I fail to see why an enthusiastic request for a new
>> and useful feature should be dismissed in such a rude manner.
> Not [ choosing to | being able to ] code does not grant a right to whine and
> whimper for days on end.

Whining and whimpering on end for days? Read back through the thread and
quote where this whimpering and/or whining that went on for days
occured. Then post it here, or shut up and stop making up lies.

<strip pointless analogy>

> But to be less abrupt:
> Exim has long since gone far beyond the field of an smtp/lmtp MTA.
> One might more properly term it a "Message *Management* Agent" (MMA?).

That's an obviously poor description. It's scope is far too wide.

> Among hundreds of other features, PH has given us hash handling, not only for
> its primary (if somewaht infrequent) use for password handling, but as an
> available general-purpose tool.
>
> Several folk have pointed this out, citing the sepcification, but to no avail.

You're not making any sense to me here. I'm thinking you might be
confused with a separate thread. Please point out the relevant parts of
the specification that will allow us to safely use acl variables as hash
datatypes, and the point in the thread when this info was provided.

<strip the obligatory unwanted Bill poorly thought through personal opinion>

Imagine being able to store per recipient information in an acl variable
in the rcpt acl, and then being able to pull out the relevant pieces of
info on a *per recipient basis* in the data acl, and more usefully, in
the routers. If you can't find a use for that, then you don't have a very
good imagination.

One example use: In my mail set up, I can do one mysql query each time
around a rcpt acl which returns either NULL to reject, or the mailbox
to deliver to. Because of the hack I mentioned earlier, I can refer to
this data again on a per recipient basis in the router to do each delivery
without having to do a second database lookup.

Mike