Re: [exim] Timeout with spamassassin

Author: SeattleServer.com
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Timeout with spamassassin
On Saturday 14 October 2006 09:14, W B Hacker wrote:
> We don't let SA run SPAM_BAYES at all.
>
> Too little gain for the pain.

Agreed. There are better bayesian engines than SA, but after a lot of months
of pain, we decided to eliminate bayesian filtering altogether.

Not only is in incredibly resource-intensive and demands you buy better disks
and such for your servers to handle the load, but even the best bayesian
engines can only offer 98-99% accuracy with proper training (in the real
world, with lazy users, 80% was about tops), which isn't enough, and leaves
the users having to dig through a pile of spam all the time anyways, which in
my book, defeats the whole purpose of filtering it in the first place.

Bayesian - neat theory, bad reality. Now, what am I supposed to do with all
these 15kRPM SCSI disks? ;-)

Cheers,