Re: [exim] EMAIL RESTRICTIONS

Author: Bill Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] EMAIL RESTRICTIONS
On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 03:17 +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> Bill Horne wrote:
>
> > Bill,
> >
> > I now have two questions for you: the first was about DTMF modems,
>
> Used extensively in telephony - in fact, that is what you use when you dial into
> an 'automated attendant' or voice-mail system
> - the irritating recorded voice that asks you to 'press one for...' etc.

[snip]

> The IC's interface easily to a parallel or serial port.

Understood. Please tell me if there is software and hardware available
to mechanize this, and if so, what the throughput is.

> > but
> > now I need to ask how to avoid getting rejected by your MTA.
> >

> Two steps, first one is easy:
>
> - Set a PTR record in your netblock holder's DNS. A netblock NOT assigned portable.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;246.86.92.66.in-addr.arpa.    IN    PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
246.86.92.66.in-addr.arpa. 3600    IN    PTR
dsl092-086-246.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net.

> Second one should then be automatic i.e. hostnames, HELO's and IP's of
> organizations such as 'dyndns' are blacklisted as we find them, but you will no
> longer need their services, so no longer a factor.

Please don't do that: I think you're throwing the baby out with the
bathwater. My home server has dynamic dns because it costs $120/year for
dedicated DNS service, and that's money I'd rather use elsewhere.

I suggest you offer keyword-based whitelisting, e.g., by asking senders
who use dynamic DNS services to include [exim-users] in the subject line
of a message.

> ELSE:
>
> - Use your ISP's MTA,

I comply with Speakeasy's request that user-supported MTA's don't use
their smarthosts.

> Unless that is one of about 50 US-based 'careless' ISP's we also block as
> primarily spam services - at least since the Yew_Ass_A mandated spam as a good
> thing for business...("You, too CAN-Spam" act of 2003, was it?)

We're organizing the Congressional Pages to lobby for change. Democracy
is messy.

> OR:
>
> Gmail...

I don't choose to use advertiser-supported email services.

I don't mind you copying my email to the list in this case, but please
remove non-list email addresses before posting. TIA.

[rest sniped]

Bill
(No copies of list postings needed, thank you)