Re: [exim] exec chain?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] exec chain?
Mironov, Leonid {PBG} wrote:

> I've got the following setup: exim 4.63 running on linux calls procmail
> from .forward, a certain procmail recipe invokes a shell script which
> runs an awk script which has to send some mail and it is when mailing
> from awk that I run into some trouble: I need to add some headers to
> messages and unix 'mail' inserts a blank line before the input, so all
> the headers added from awk are treated as text - cannot use it. I tried
> using 'exim -bm' but it fails with exit code 127 (exim.h: EX_EXECFAILED
> 127 /* execve() failed */). Exactly the same 'exim -bm ...' command
> executed by the same user from the shell promt performs flawlessly and
> does what I want it to do. Am I right suspecting that exim refuses do be
> run in a process chain started by exim itself? If yes, what can I do to
> change this behavior? If nothing, maybe someone can point me to an
> utility which can mail AND append my headers? I am not keen on writing
> yet another mail agent, tried mailuitils - same problem as with 'mail'.
>
> :), Leo

Details of what you are doing are not 100% clear but...

- seem 'close enough' to say with some confidence that everything you have cited
can be done with Exim and its 'usual' toolsets alone - i.e. no need for
procmail, and *probably* not even a need for external scripts at all.

The best part is that you can get it sorted out entirely in parallel, keeping
procmail & awk until you have migrated and tested all or even just a portion of
your needs to 'native' Exim.

Seems that most times someone thinks they have found something Exim cannot do,
another poster contributes code already in production use.

;-)

Try it.

Far easier to watch one basket with all the eggs than half-a-dozen separate ones
connected with string.

Bill