Re: [exim] White list for list email doesn't white list

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] White list for list email doesn't white list
David Daniels wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I have a white list routine that works great for email from individuals.
> When email is from a list, it simply doesn't work.

*snip*

> Is there a way to modify the acl to check the Sender: <ADDRESS> along
> with the From:<ADDRESS>
> Any help would be totally appreciated.

Several. But I think you want to first look at the 'envelope' (to/from)
as well, not just the 'visible' header lines.

- MOST lists munge (at least) From: and Reply to: headers as well as
envelope-sender, etc. for several reasons good, bad, and indifferent.

Among these are redirecting a knee-jerk reply to an appropriate place, and
insuring the list-admin (human, daemon, or both), not the entire list, get
bounces returned so they can handle departees, dead address, server refusals,
vacation, etc.

What you may wish to do is deliberately create a 'freeze' of an incoming, then
go and manually inspect it in Exim's queue, where there may be more information
than is necessarily onpassed to and visible in your MUA.

HTH,

Bill