Re: [exim] Max header size

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: W B Hacker
À: exim users
Sujet: Re: [exim] Max header size
Sujit Choudhury wrote:

> Currently we are trying to send to e-mail to 500 students (no we are not
> using mailing list for this)

Given that several mailing list management software packages are free and easy
to install, free and easy to configure, free and easily solve this problem, free
and add many features that will save a great deal of time w/r keeping the lists
up-to-date, free and will solve future problems, free and can handle
non-delivery intelligently, free and can selectively 'batch' and/or sort
messages, and - did I mention *free*?

> and it is failing.

Or taking way too long... and/or irritating the recipient mailadmins...
or getting chunks of traffic stuck in the queu, or producing highly
unpredictable delivery times.. or ....

> We suspect it is
> hitting the max header limit. Any idea on this? We are running 4.60 on
> a 64-bit SLES9 box.
>
> Regards
>
> Sujit

Working around it in Exim - the MTA - will take time, and solve only the
immediate problem. Expect others as soon as that is fixed.

You then have to consider bounces / unsubscription, vacation/autoreply, list
additions/deletions, etc.

MailMan, Ecartis, MajorDomo, <others> can make sense with as few as 50 members.

Once set-up, you can support *many* disparate lists, if/as/hwne you need them.

Seems like a tool a university should have available in any case.

YMMV,

Bill