Re: [exim] basic doubts in exim configuration

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] basic doubts in exim configuration
Ashok tce wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am in the process of setting up a mail server using exim+imap cyrus.I have
> studied the eim docs and configured exim's routers and transports.I have
> some basic requirements in my mail server i.e any mail from:@tce.edu must be
> handled by exim both from my local domain and external domain.
> Will this work
> domainlist relay_from_domains=@:tce.edu
> acl_mail_from
> accept
> hosts=+relay_from_hosts
> sender_domains=:+relay_from _domains
>
> Will this accept all mails to @tce.edu from localdomain and external
> interface?
>
> Exim should handle all mails from the local interface.How to achieve it
> using ACL.'s.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> cheers ashok

Just so you do not feel compelled to repost this every two days, I'll try and
give an 'answer of sorts':

- The form and nature of the question you pose does not seem to relate to
conventional wisdom about the smtp mail process, ergo, no meaningful answer
suggests itself directly. Can't get there from here.

- This in turn indicates that to the extent you read the Exim documentation, you
did not understand it. That is no sin, we all started there. But it does not
make it easy to assist you.

Do you mean:

- all messages destined for <any valid user>@tce.edu and no others,
[ regardless of source | only if from some other tcu.edu server ]

should be accepted?

if so 'require verify = recipient' and 'relay_hosts' together will do that,
*providing* the server you are setting up has access to a list or DB with all
valid users in it, AND at least one router that will use said information.

- there *can be no such* username as <from:>

- there *can be no such* <domain>.<tld> as <:tce.edu>

Google 'valid characters email address' or some such...

OR:

Do you mean 'pass all traffic to/from tce.edu, valid user or not', if
[ the 'From:' header | envelope_sender] *claims to be* <anyone at all>@tcu.edu

- In which case you should really be more careful. You are about to install a
relay that may well be easily compromised by simple forgery.

Other points:

Exim *will* handle all traffic presented on the local interface if you either:

- don't specify an interface or IP (it then grabs them all)

OR

- specify (only | all) the IP(s) you want (it then listens only on those).

Check the docs and the plentiful examples, starting in the default configuration
file.

Then rephrase the question..... please.

Bill