Re: [exim] Unkown User

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Unkown User
Daniel Stålhammar wrote:

> Hi
>

>     I can send mail local to both zappe@??? and
>     zappe@??? but when i send from remote to
>     zappe@??? i get Unkown User but it works with
>     zappe@??? and i got

> domainlist local_domains = americandad.hv.se : klaus.americandad.hv.se
>
> What can be wrong?
>
> /Daniel
>

> Any of several things - you haven't told us anything about how you have
> your $local_part set up for each domain, (shell accounts, virtual list,
> DB?, or?)
>
> OR what the logs show w/r routers and transports chosen, succeeding/failing.
>
> ...or much of anything, really.
>
> So - and this is 100% accurate:
>
> "Something ain't right!"
>
> - but not very *useful*.
>
> ;-)
>

> More info please?
>
> Bill
>
> ----
>
> Oh i'm sorry but i'm quite new at this so i don't know what you need to know :)
>
> I can't find much in the logs at all :(
>
> It seems like something is wrong with my SMTP server, or exims i mean.
> Should it be listening for SMTP on two places?
>
> tcp        0      0 *:smtp                      *:*                         LISTEN      26789/exim
> tcp        0      0 *:smtp                      *:*                         LISTEN      26789/exim

> As much info i can give. You have to write exact info you want from me :)
>
> /Daniel

I don't know where you got the above ...

What you want is:

- got into ~/exim/configure <or Linux equivalent> and add or alter in the
section before any acl's - i.e. close to where your domainlist line is:

log_selector = +all

Save, restart Exim.

Do another set of test messages.

Now 'tail -n 200 /var/log/exim/mainlog' <or wherever Linux is putting that>

Ignoring our mailer line-wrap, you should see lines that look *somewhat* like these:

2006-09-27 18:09:43 1GSdqh-000PGD-PQ => wbh <wbh@???>
F=<exim-users-bounces+wbh=conducive.org@???>
P=<exim-users-bounces+wbh=conducive.org@???> R=db_user T=db_delivery S=1856
QT=8s DT=0s

Where R= has the name of the router, T= has the name of the transport

Then go and find the router in ~/exim/configure and look at where it gets the
$local_part and $domain information. If it is the system_aliases router, that
will be the ~/etc/master.passwd fie or its generated ~.db or .cdb, and/or the
~/etc/aliases file or the db generated for that. IOW - these (and only these)
will not be at all obvious.

Any other user list or DB's WILL be obvious. You may have written them.

That will work for the address that is NOT being rejected, and give you an idea
of what sort of information is NOT available for the address that IS being rejected.

In broad termns, no router has the necessary information to hold up its hand and
say "I know who that is, and I have a transport that goes right to his house."

When Exim 'runs out of routers' before getting such a response, it tells you it
cannot deliver.

Bill

HTH,

Bill