Re: [exim] Sending To A Forged Address

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sending To A Forged Address

On 24 Sep 2006, at 19:02, W B Hacker wrote:

> gascione wrote:
>
>> All of our mail is filtered by inbound MX servers running Exim4.x
>> and is sent
>> from our primary servers to outbound servers running Exim. This is
>> all done
>> to help us perform as many checks we can on inbound and outbound
>> mail.
>>
>> We have been having a problem with some of our clients autoresponders
>> resonding to forged email addresses that are real email addresses.
>> The real
>> problem comes in when one of those forged email addresses happens
>> to be a
>> SPAM trap for SPAMCOP. We end up getting listed for 20 hours.

[...]
> Might not be autoresponders alone....

but that should not stop him from fixing broken auto-responders.

> Key here is that while preventing autoresponders should be OK on
> the secondaries
> (only), you need to *also* make sure you don't have non-connect-time
> rejection/bounces to forged addresses from any of your hosts.

this is true and is also as bad as having broken auto-responders.

> If forgeries are getting in at all, then you aren't quite using all
> the
> available tools to prevent them.
>
> Downside is that some of those tools will give apparent false-
> positives, perhaps
> 'bigtime'.

the first thing to do is to stop broken auto-responders and non-SMTP
time bounces.

> If it is any consolation, Spamcop won't much hurt your credibility
> with our
> servers - you experience with their flakiness is not unique. We
> haven't quite
> given up checking them altogether, but do look at their hits with
> one eye
> shut...the log_message line a hit produces reflects the name of a
> famous
> military anti-hero:

well, I do not see why Spamcop is flaky by listing a broken auto-
responder. If the multitude
of flaky mail administrator who do spew their garbage out for others
to clean were also so kind to read and act on the reports they
receive on their postmaster/abuse accounts (well, *if* they have
enabled either account...), maybe Spamcop would have less listings...
Fortunately good spam filters already catch the inadequacy of their
servers...