Re: [exim] Installing mailman with Exim (Fedora) - how?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Installing mailman with Exim (Fedora) - how?
Mark Kubrick wrote:

> It seems nigh on the impossible to find a straightforward explaination of
> installing MailMan and having it work with Exim (OS is Fedora). Can anybody
> help? I am do sick of reading about UID/GIDs, transports and directors and
> getting nowhere. All I want is a mailing list!
>
> Regards
>
> Mark

Mailman is probably the 'road well traveled', and has the most available Exim
examples.

But if 'All (you) want is a mailing list' - you might look at MTA-agnostic Ecartis.

It needs (and will generate) a block of aliases for each list, covering posting,
subscribe/unsubscribe, list info, bounces, etc.

These need to be installed in ~/etc/aliases by a user with appropriate privs.

Otherwise, Ecartis is capable of being installed and run by an ordinary user if
you don't even want to be bothered admin'ing it. It isn't fussy about rights,
privs, etc., so long as the MTA will accept trafic from it as a local user.

Ecartis is largely controlled by simple e-mail (secured) command messages. I've
never once bothered with the web interface - just a bit of CLI setup, and e-mail
commands thereafter.

There is a 'global' configuration file, plus one per list. Digests, archives,
spam filtering, statistics, attachment handling, all manner of limits and
reformating (IF you need them) - are all built-in.

Ecartis-specific Exim router/transports exist, but any MTA that respects the
system aliases file, Exim included, will generally work with that and no further
ado, so Ecartis doesn't even care if you switch MTA's.

We've used it with sendmail, Qmail, courier-mta, as well as Exim.

Config file has some 'double negatives' mixed in, but otherwise 'painless'.

Single biggest drawback is probably forgetting the syntax between bi-annual
admin visits...

;-)

HTH,

Bill