Re: [exim] Exilog database size

Author: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exilog database size
On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 08:44 +0100, Dave Evans wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:30:44AM +0200, Tom Kistner wrote:
> > Larry is probably right. At least I don't remember doing anything
> > related to a "Vacuum" in the postgres SQL stubs (maybe this is the
> > equivalent of MySQLs "optimize table"?).

vacuum is periodic maintenance. we don't use exilog (we developed our
own quite similar solution just weeks before Tom's announcement :), but
we've had problems with vacuum being unable to do enough garbage
collection so the database was growing steadily no matter what. this
was in PostgreSQL 7.x, we believe it is fixed in 8.1.

> Actually it's worse than that: if you don't vacuum, eventually you WILL lose
> data; old rows will just disappear. Been there, done that, not pretty. Don't
> forget to vacuum.

never seen that, which PostgreSQL version was that?

--
Kjetil T.