Re: [exim] Default user account

Top Pagina
Auteur: John Robinson
Aan: Exim Users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] Default user account
On 19/09/2006 13:07, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> Stephen Kestle wrote:
>> I just can't seem to find some documents on a default account or
>> redirect for my server. It seems to reject any non-local address, and
>> that also seems to eliminate any alias redirection (I tried
>> "*:mail-default").
>>
>> It's something pretty simple, but I just can't find the right stuff...
>>
>> Perhaps I need to add a router to handle all unknown addreses - can
>> someone point me in the right direction?
>
> My advice on catchall accounts is "don't do that".
> You get inundated with spam as soon as a dictionary-attack
> hits your domain, and you get joe-jobbed to death too.

I'd agree. If you want to have support for effectively making up email
addresses on the hoof, as I do, enable local_part_suffix support (and
probably local_part_suffix_optional too). It means I can make up email
addresses like
john.robinson-exim.org.spam.me.and.get.killfiled@??? and in
my personal Exim filter I can if necessary choose to discard messages
sent to that address (if it ends up getting spammed) while continuing to
accept email for my main address. See
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.62/doc/html/spec_html/ch15.html#id2606562

If you still want a catch-all, you could change your aliases lookup to
one with a default value, e.g. lsearch*{/etc/aliases} instead of
lsearch{/etc/aliases} which will let you put * on the left and the
target address on the right. See
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.62/doc/html/spec_html/ch09.html#SECTdefaultvaluelookups

Cheers,

John.