Re: [exim] Forwarding list

Autor: Magnus Holmgren
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Forwarding list
Please don't use Reply to start a new topic. Create a clean new message
instead.

On Monday 18 September 2006 21:49, Rick Toews took the opportunity to say:
> I believe I read somewhere recently that the list of forwarding email
> addresses is gotten from /etc/valiases/{$domain}.

That sounds like Vexim or some other configuration front end. Exim by default
uses the standard /etc/aliases file, but can be configured in infinitely many
ways.

> Is it possible to
> generate this list from a perl script, or does it have to be from this flat
> file?

Read the documentation, in particular chapter 9 (File and database lookups;
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.62/doc/html/spec_html/ch09.html), chapter 11
(String expansions), chapter 22 (The redirect router) and chapter 12
(embedded Perl).

There is of course nothing that prevents you from using a Perl script to
generate an alias file, but I suspect that you want to use Perl more
dynamically. As an example, you can have a router with

driver = redirect
data = ${perl{getalias}{$local_part}{$domain}}

But read chapter 12 carefully for how to set this up, and consider using a
database lookup directly if that is really what lies behind.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)