Re: [exim] Sharing spool dir

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Christian Gregoire
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sharing spool dir
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Christian Gregoire wrote:

> I'd like to share the same spool directory between several instances
> of Exim running on different hosts. The sharing file system would be
> Lustre (www.lustre.org).

Investigate the localhost_number option.

> Is it possible by design ? Is there any Lustre specificity I should
> check : locks, ... ?

I know nothing about Lustre. Exim expects fcntl() locking to work for
its spool files.

You may (will?) find that this is a bad idea if the system is at all
busy because of contention for the directory. Exim is disk-limited. By
reducing the disk bandwidth for the several instances you are just
making that worse.