[exim] Still problem with AUTH LOGIN

Author: Christer Jonson
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Still problem with AUTH LOGIN
Dear list,

After lotsa testing I still have problem connecting to
a Windows NTMail server that I want to use as mail
relay since I am on a dynamic IP.

When connecting to the server it announces ESMTP
support. My Exim 4.44 sends the EHLO string and its
name. Server responds with a bunch of 250's among
those AUTH LOGIN. My Exim returns the AUTH LOGIN and
server replies with 334 and base64 encoded
"Username:". My Exim sends in the base-64 encoded
username and the server replies ith 334 and base-64
encoded "Password:" which is properly returned by
Exim. After a while server responds with "535 5.7.8
Authorisation attempt failed.".

Everything seems fine as far as I understand from
specs etc, the username/pw is simply not accepted.

The username and pw is what we agreed and it works for
retrieveing mail from the very same server so I recon
it's correct. I've also tried different combinations
to no avail.

I am running low on ideas now, is there anybody with
experience of connecting Wxim to NTMail (nowadays
Gordano Mail server) or any other general trouble
shooting ideas?

I have broadminded tried to figure out what can be
wrong but since it works to pop mail from the same
server, so the username and pw is probably correct.
I've cross-checked the base-64 strings and dumped the
IP-packets as well to ensure that what I see in the
log is really sent to the server.

I've also tried sending the strings manually to see
the actual response from the server but it's the same
as I found in the log and in the TCP/IP-traces.

After all, SMTP isn't exactly rocket science so it
shouldn't be that difficult ;-)

Any ideas?

TIA
/c