Re: [exim] mysticly emptied inbox

Autor: Dave Pooser
A: Rainer Sigl, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] mysticly emptied inbox
> Just the second time different users working with thunderbird as imap
> client report that their inbox was emptied suddenly. The strange thing
> is if I restore the data from the backup even to a new folder the
> mailfiles disappear again after a time.

I saw something like this once-- it turned out the user in question had his
friend set up a home machine to access his work email. Unfortunately, the
friend set it up as POP instead of IMAP, so every time his home machine
downloaded his email it also deleted it off the server.

That server (CommuniGate Pro) allowed me to prohibit POP access on a
per-account basis, so I now allow POP only for my non-IMAP accounts; your
IMAP server may have a similar function, or if nobody uses POP you can
firewall port 110....
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com