Re: [exim] R: Exim4 And outgoing Filters

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] R: Exim4 And outgoing Filters
Marc Haber wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:38:36 +0800, W B Hacker <wbh@???>
> wrote:
>
>>Not sure how that 'template' is used,
>

> http://pkg-exim4.alioth.debian.org/README/README.Debian.html#id2451738,
> 2.1.4 "How does this work"
>

>>but you want to verify what is in the file
>>it *produces* (manually or by Debmagic), which is probably:
>>
>>/etc/exim4/exim4.conf
>

> No, it is not. If /etc/exim4/exim4.conf exists, this is taken verbatim
> as exim configuration, takes preference over all magic and is _never_
> touched by our packaging.
>
> If /etc/exim4/exim4.conf does not exist, exim takes
> /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated as its configuration, and this
> file is where our magic's output is written to.
>
> Greetings
> Marc

Thanks, I've read, and been further confused.

Not to worry - I do that too!

But we struggle on:

- The cited work specifies an 'over-write' to a file that debconf will use to
apply the new configuration when trigged by a restart...

Your statement, above, implies an immunity to that sequence of events - granted
specifically to ~/exim4.conf.

What am I missing w/r ~/exim4.cong-template?

- directly editing ~/exim4.conf-tempate will do nothing until the process that
*uses* the template to create ~/exim4.conf is invoked?

- if ~/exim4.conf already exists, then said process will (silently?) fail?
(meaning it is a one-time shot, unless manual rm or mv is done?

- ~/exim4.conf-template and ~/exim4.conf exist outside the realm of whatever
ELSE Debmagically configures (all/some/no) Exim installations?

- some, all, none, of the above, and/or else (what?)

Clarify that - and other things - in the docs, and you might get more than 4 new
'seekers' of Debian-specific information in a given month [1].

;-)

Bill

[1] To date on:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-exim4-users/2006-August/