Re: [exim] dbm to MySQL migration

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: exim-users
CC: pascal.exim
Subject: Re: [exim] dbm to MySQL migration
* On 31/08/06 15:11 +0200, Pascal wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I run a small mail server with about 40 domains. Right now I use
| exim_dbmbuild to create the dbm files of the different domain mailer tables,
| including dbm files for the local and relay domains. I however would like to
| migrate all of this to a MySQL setup (at least I think I want that ;-)).
| Reason for this is that I now run a system wide setting for spam and virus
| scanning and that this is not really user friendly as I want to give the
| users a choice in if they want spam and virus scanning per user. And I also
| would like to switch from creating actual users on the system to switch that
| to only MySQL users. Which probably also makes it more wise to switch to
| maildir format and something like Courier.
|

| With the dbm process I can do stuff like this:
|
| mylocalalias: localuser1,localuser2,remote@???,localuser3
| *: localuser1
|
| And mail will be delivered to all the local and remote addresses and
| everything else will be dropped in the localuser1 mailbox.
|
| I've looked at a couple of MySQL examples but they seem to usually limit the
| localuser drop to 1 user so alias1@??? will always only be dropped
| into a localuser1 mailbox. Which is not the behaviour I want. However I
| assume that - flexible as exim is - I can also get the behaviour I have with
| a MySQL setup
|
| As I would like to get my new setup done properly at once I hope someone can
| assist me in making the right choices. Or better yet if somebody want to
| share their setup with me would be even better as it makes no sense for me
| to engineer what already has been engineered before and has proven to work.
|
| Assuming I could create a MySQL table which can contain several local users
| and several remote users for the same alias. Would it be wise to create
| single records for each local / remote user for the same alias? Or just put
| everything in one record? Or split the record in a localusers part and a
| remote user part and use different routers for them?
|
| So if somebody who has already made a setup like I want and would like to
| share their culprits, setup of whatever they want to share that would be
| greatly appreciated.

I do this with Vexim (http://silverwraith.com/vexim) quite easily.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                    . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
wash () WANANCHI ! com            . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223            . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121            . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post