Re: [exim] limiting simaltenous connections to certain hosts

Author: Exim Mailing List
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] limiting simaltenous connections to certain hosts
On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 06:24:44PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 07:10:29PM +0200, Zbigniew Szalbot said:
>
> > Is there a way to have a router which would limit the number of sim.
> > connections to
> > hosts defined in a flat file so that exim does not unnecessarily keep
> > trying where most of its attempts are being rejected anyway?
>
> If I understand correctly, you want to send emails to people at that
> provider, but want to rate limit your outgoing connection numbers. I
> would queue the incoming messages, and then deliver with -qq to send all
> the messages down a single connection. It adds a slight delay, but not
> as much as having connections reset, presumably.

I second that solution. We move a significant amount of email, so we
maintain a separate instance of Exim to handle all outbound mail deliveries.

On that server, we use startup options of "exim -bd -qq10m" to achieve
results of optimizing deliveries down a single connection whenever possible.

Our outbound instance of Exim also hands off any email that does not
deliver within an hour to a second outbound (fallback) instance of
Exim so that our primary outbound delivery queues contain only mail
that hasn't delivered in the last hour. This keeps queue run times
very short and makes it more likely that our requested retry times for
each individual message are consistent by not letting queue runners
get bogged down with thousands of undeliverable messages.

We also immediately bump bounce messages to that second fallback queue
since they are not a priority for us.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???