Re: [exim] Queue priority

Autor: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
A: Eduardo Díaz Comellas
CC: exim-users
Assumptes vells: [exim] Queue priority
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Queue priority
On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 02:46 +0200, Eduardo Díaz Comellas wrote:
> I'm managing a mail gateway that handles 250.000 msgs/day on average. Mail
> comes from Internet towards internal servers and is filtered (spam, virus) at
> the gateway before entering the vpn link. System works quite well, except on
> cases where some large mails (that are really wanted adds) collapse the vpn
> links for hours making small and often more important mails to get queued.
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to implement some kind of queue
> running precedence, in which I could mark messages with a priority based on
> some filter (side, headers, etc) and then only process low priority mails
> with que queue runner when there are no hight priority mails waiting to be
> delivered with retry time reached.

very late reply, I know, but I just had offer this suggestion:

allocate an extra IP, add a router for low priority messages, and
specify a transport which uses the low priority interface.

use QOS features at the kernel level to prioritise packets on the
primary IP address.

the normal Exim queue runners should do the job nicely, some of them
will just take longer to deliver a message when they hit a low priority
message in the queue.
--
Kjetil T.