Re: [exim] Email for people who are no longer here. (WAS ema…

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Ian Eiloart
À: Sherwood Botsford, exim-users
Nouveaux-sujets: [exim] Using secondary MX and rejecting messages
Sujet: Re: [exim] Email for people who are no longer here. (WAS email goes awry)

--On 28 August 2006 11:14:17 -0600 Sherwood Botsford <sbotsford@???>
wrote:

> Almost all of this email is spam. Real people know the person's new
> address. I don't see much point in wasting my bandwidth trying to send
> mail to mostly non-existent addresses.

No, the best thing would be to get a mail hosting service which could be
made aware of your local userbase. If you're tied to an ISP's domain, that
may not be possible. Otherwise you could look to move your mail hosting. It
would not have to be hosted by your web service provider.

It's not a good idea to try to send a bounce message when you know it's
likely to hit an innocent third party.

These days, it's best to reject at SMTP time (at the remote site) or to
read the email. Bouncing and blackholing are to be avoided if possible.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex