Re: [exim] non-cyrus sasl as an exim backend? patch? integra…

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] non-cyrus sasl as an exim backend? patch? integrated?
OpenMacNews wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'm running exim 4.63 & dovecot 1.0rc7 on OSX 10.4.7.
>
> dovecot has its own SASL implementation. cref:
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Sasl
>
> there's a patch against exim 4.43:
>
> http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/AuthenticatedSmtpUsingDovecot
>
> that, purportedly, enables EXIM to use dovecot's SASL as an auth
> backend, instead of Cyrus-SASL.
>
> (1) is that patch still viable/safe against 4.63?
> (2) are there any current plans to integrate support for
> other-than-cyrus-sasl into exim?
>
> there was a related (?) thread @:
>
> <http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20060703/msg00263.html>
>

> but, to my read, went off in another direction ...
>
> thanks,
>
> richard

Guilty.

;-)

Didn't see that the OP was adding as much value as hassle for himself as NTLM
clients were as able to do TLS anyway.

But if you must have SASL, there are more than two options.
it is, after all, intended to be a 'callable' service, available to all
(authorized) comers - Exim included.

You may want to look at these if you have not already done so:

- Exim Specific:

2 AUG 2006:

http://tomster.org/geek/freebsdcookbook/ar01s02.html

23 NOV 2005: