Re: [exim] Mail from remote server sending to my dedicated s…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Mail from remote server sending to my dedicated site: 550Error Relay not permitted
Albert Wong wrote:
> Hello everyone, :-) ...
>
> And a special thanks to Bill Hacker for his extensive reply to my last mail
> message. It took me a while to digest it all.... but it was *very* very
> much appreciated... I feel like a baby here, I know, so thanks so much for
> all the help. :-)

Hey - some of us have just already made the same mistakes...

;-)

> Anyhow, things are going much better (whew! :) and I think I've gotten my
> hosting provider to set up the rDNS appropriately. [Finally!]

Close, but not yet a cigar. see below.

> But there are some new issues happening that maybe you guys could help me
> with:
>
> So, drumrolll.... here's THE PROBLEM.....
>
> _The Problem_
> ***For SELECTED users, email sent from my dedicated box appears to get
> *rejected* with a "rejected RCPT" error.***

Hmm.. disagree with your analysis. Problem isn't selected *originators* - it is
selected *destinations*, and servers, not just user accounts from the look of
most returns.

Probable reason is differences in their configuration to reject forgery, zombie,
and spam sources.

What I *suspect* is the cause:

1) As you are not posting here FROM the server with the problem, I cannot see
what it is HELO'ing as, but I suspect that said HELO is something that does NOT
forward/reverse match the IP from whence the connection originates.

Some server rulesets (not just Exim) may be configured to reject on that sort of
mismatch as a possible forgery.

2) You have 'www.ithou.org' as the return for the IP lookup, which won't be an
exact match to plain 'ithou.org'. Some server configurations may not accept that
either.

It would be *much* better if that entry were simply 'ithou.org' (additional
entry for 'www.ithou.org' recommended as well). Your httpd should be set up to
respond to either 'ithou.org' or 'www.ithou.org', as is common.

> Here's the actual logs from my mainlog file. You can see that *most* of the
> messages get sent out ok, but some of them get rejected.

*snip*

Just send a message to:

askbill@???

FROM your ithou.org box, not some other account.

I can probably confirm the above 'suspicions' from my server logs, then advise
the next step(s).

Best,

Bill