[exim] Exim failing to authenticate

Autor: Celejar
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Exim failing to authenticate
> On Thursday 24 August 2006 09:32, Celejar took the opportunity to say:
> > I use exim to relay mail (from a dialup box) via 'smtp.gmail.com' (resolves
> > to 'gmail-smtp.l.google.com') as a smarthost. I have
> > '*:user@???:passwd' in 'passwd.client', and 'port = 587' in
> > 'exim_config_remote_smtp_smarthost'. This configuration has worked for me
> > for a while, but has "suddenly" (I may have done something, but I can't
> > think what) begun to consistently fail, with messages such these:
> >
> > 1GG8B8-0001Nd-Cf gmail-smtp.l.google.com [64.233.185.109] Connection
> > refused 1GG8B8-0001Nd-Cf gmail-smtp.l.google.com [64.233.185.111]
> > Connection refused 1GG8B8-0001Nd-Cf == xxxx@??? R=smarthost
> > T=remote_smtp_smarthost defer (111): Connection refused
> >
> > The problem isn't with the gmail servers; I use these same settings with
> > the MTA built into sylpheed and it's still working fine.
>
> What is exim_config_remote_smtp_smarthost? A file or a section of exim.conf?
> The transport involved seems to be called "remote_smtp_smarthost". Are you
> using a configuration front end? Perhaps some file suddenly isn't included
> anymore. You can output the actual configuration with
>
> exim -bP transport remote_smtp_smarthost
>
> Check that it includes "port = 587".
>
> --
> Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
>                        (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)

I ran exim with the -d option and saw that it was indeed trying to connect to port 25, not 587. I suppose I made some error related to the Debian specific config system, as Marc has pointed out. Unfortunately even after I convinced it to use port 587, it still doesn't work, failing with "530 5.5.1 Authentication Required". If people think this probably a Debian related issue, I'll take it to the Debian list.

Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg, a Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator