Re: [exim] abuse and or postmaster for all domains

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Debbie Doerrlamm
À: exim-users
Sujet: Re: [exim] abuse and or postmaster for all domains
At 10:40 AM 8/18/2006, John Burnham said:
>> /etc/alias -- postmater & abuse are piped to root.. but I get
>> neither..
>>
>> # Basic system aliases -- these MUST be present.
>> mailer-daemon: postmaster
>> postmaster: root
>> [snip]
>> abuse: root
>>
>By default exim won't deliver to the root user, try putting
>root: someotheruser
>in /etc/aliases
>
>By the way, you can test how addresses will be delivered by using
>exim -d -bt address
>(the -d is optional and turns on extra debug information).
>For more information have a look through the Exim spec, paying particular
>attention to never_users.

I read the never_users section of the docs and see in exim.conf:

# No local deliveries will ever be run under the uids of these users (a colon-
# separated list). An attempt to do so gets changed so that it runs under the
# uid of "nobody" instead. This is a paranoic safety catch. Note the default
# setting means you cannot deliver mail addressed to root as if it were a
# normal user. This isn't usually a problem, as most sites have an alias for
# root that redirects such mail to a human administrator.

never_users = root

So am I correct in thinking here it says never send mail TO root?? or never
send AS root???

I ran the debug mode and indeed it can not locate abuse@

I checked /etc/alias and see:

  Basic system aliases -- these MUST be present.
mailer-daemon:  postmaster
postmaster:     root
abuse:          root

then further down in the file I see:

# Person who should get root's mail
#root:          marc

(now I KNOW thats not right !!)

Cpanel setting is set to send root's mail to the off server address
wkdwich@??? (i just reset that now again for good measure)

So.. with that all said I belive all I need to do here is uncomment and
alter that line in the alias file

# Person who should get root's mail
#root:          wkdwich         ## valid user on server - me

then I KNOW in my heart I have to rebuild the alias file, but newaliasses
does not exist on the server -- so how do I rebuild?? or do I just make the
change and restart exim ?? maybe with the -bi switch ??

running exim 4.52 and those docs state:

If Exim is called under the name newaliases it behaves as if the option -bi
were present before any other options, for compatibility with Sendmail.
This option is used for rebuilding Sendmail's alias file. Exim does not
have the concept of a single alias file, but can be configured to run a
given command if called with the -bi option.

Grr I am thinking the easiest way to do this is just change the postmaster@
and abuse@ in the alias file to direct to a valid user or full email
address, but I still am not sure how to rebuild the alias file

Regards,
Debbie ^v^ ^o^ //\o/\\ ^o^ ^v^ Webmaster - System Admin

webmaster@??? (AOL, CS or AIM NailGdsss - MSN Nailgodess)
WWWeb Services, Ronkonkoma, NY
631-981-1273  fax 631-981-7557
http://www.beautytech.com & http://www.beautytech.INFO
     for Professionals             for Consumers
Online Correspondent NAILS Magazine http://www.nailsmag.com