[exim] default value seems a big low

Autor: Peter D. Gray
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] default value seems a big low
I have just had a small problem with a user complaining about email
delays and tracked it down to the smtp_accept_queue_per_connection
parameter, which has a default value of 10.

After 10 messages are injected via SMTP on the same
connection, further messages are placed in the queue
rather than being handled immediately.

Now, I know it's all documented etc, but the idea of default values
is they work in the majority of cases. This value seems very low
to me for a default value. After all, if the client had made
multiple connections all would have been fine, except my server would
have been under more load and it would have been harder to
do rate limiting. I think I want to encourage multiple
messages on the same connection, not discourage them.

Can someone explain the rationale behind such a low value?

It would seem to me that treating messages delivered in the
same connection differently to those arriving
on different connections is not actually that helpful
but maybe I just have not thought this through enough.

Regards,
pdg

--

See mail headers for contact information.