[exim] Client authentication

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Christer Jonson
À: exim-users
Sujet: [exim] Client authentication
I have a problem running Exim 4.44 as SMTP client
against a Windows NTMail v.4.30 server with ESMTP.

The NTMail server announces AUTH LOGIN and my Exim
responds with user/pw but eventually the authorisation
fails.

The username and pw is to my best knowledge correct
and the same as my fetchmail uses to pick up mail from
the very same server using POP3.

An exerpt from the log is found below:

SMTP>> EHLO snobben.xxxxx.se

  SMTP<< 250-mail.yyyyy.se Hello snobben.xxxxx.se
[217.zzz.zzz.9], pleased to meet you
         250-VRFY
         250-PIPELINING
         250-SIZE 21528576
         250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
         250-8BITMIME
         250-ETRN
         250-DSN
         250-AUTH LOGIN
         250-XRCPTLIMIT 100
         250-XAUD 789149kw161336207234306 0.9
         250 HELP

SMTP>> AUTH LOGIN

SMTP<< 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
SMTP>> ********************

SMTP<< 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
SMTP>> ****************

SMTP<< 535 5.7.8 Authorisation attempt failed.
LOG: MAIN
fixed_login authenticator failed H=mail.yyyyy.se
[62.zzz.zzz.40] 535 5.7.8 Authorisation attempt
failed.
SMTP>> QUIT

The client authenticator looks like this:
    fixed_login:
        driver = plaintext
        public_name = LOGIN
        client_send = : 'xxx.se@???' : 'secretpw'

The interesting part is that when I gave up and
attempted to connect a mail client, Mozilla
Thunderbird, direct to the SMTP server to send a mail
using SMTP to see if there were a difference, it
works!

Connecting an analyzer on the network cable reveals
that it seems to send the same authentication strings
as my Exim and the server responds with the same "535
5.7.8"-failed message, then the client starts sending
a "MAIL FROM: <xxxx@???>" message which becomes
OK'd by the server! The dialogue continues and
eventually the mail becomes delivered properly.

Windows never stops amazing me ;-)

Is there anybody with experience from Exim as a client
against an NTMail-server that has any idea on how to
proceed? Can I somehow force Exim to behave like the
Mozilla client? And is it possible to understand why
it behaves like this? I am simply confused...

Rgds
/c