Re: [exim-dev] Support for IETF Lemonade Extensions?

Top Pagina
Auteur: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
Aan: torsten
CC: exim-dev
Onderwerp: Re: [exim-dev] Support for IETF Lemonade Extensions?
On Sat, 2006-08-12 at 17:06 +0200, torsten@??? wrote:
> > I assume that fact that the document has expired is merely a sign that it
> > hasn't quite yet been resubmitted rather than that interest had flagged.
>
> IMO there should be tons of people in need for something like that.
> Basically everyone in a corporate firewall / http proxy environment who
> would still like to use a reasonable MUA instead of webmail. But I guess
> these people have never been asked and that very practical issue is not
> known in the academic world.

why would the firewall administrator accept mail traffic tunneled over
HTTP any more than mail traffic sent over port 587? I would hope that
network usage policy is not tied to physical port numbers, but rather on
an analysis of information leakage threat and similar.

this trend to use port 80 for everything is not making anything more
secure. it just means firewall hardware needs to be more and more beefy
in order to do advanced content parsing to distinguish plain browsing
from bad traffic.
--
Kjetil T.