Re: [exim-dev] RFC: Refactoring expand_string_internal

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John W. Baxter
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] RFC: Refactoring expand_string_internal
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, John W. Baxter wrote:

> On 8/9/06 7:04 AM, "Philip Hazel" <ph10@???> wrote:
>
> > His program was 600 lines of Fortran
> > with no comments, no function calls, no gotos, and no loops. He had just
> > written out his entire computation serially.
>
> Ah, a modern guy: "lines" not "cards".

No, not modern. Even older than cards, as far as computers in Cambridge
are concerned. The program was on paper tape (what I saw was a
lineprinter listing). We didn't start to use cards here until 1972 when
an IBM machine arrived. A regrograde step in the opinion of many (the
cards, I mean :-)

But, please, let's stop this thread here. I don't want a cards vs paper-
tape flame war. That's kind of like re-fighting an ancient battle and
I'm not into historical re-creation...