Re: [exim-dev] RFC: Refactoring expand_string_internal

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] RFC: Refactoring expand_string_internal
Sheen, Tony wrote:

>> I just tend to prefer readability over speed, unless it's a REALLY
>> performance critical part. The expansion-language IS a central part of
>> exim, but does it need to "run like greased lightning"?
>
> We now handle up to 16 million messages a week and some of our original
> criteria for selecting Exim in the first place was partly based on its
> superior speed and ease of configuration.
>
> If properly documented within the code, large functions shouldn't be a
> problem to maintain.

Well, at least we could put them into inlined functions, as suggested
before, that way we get some more readability and don't get any function
call penalties.

But these are just my 2cent, seems like most people think it's ok that
way. Maybe I was just a bit overwelmed by the current size, after all
this time. ;)

Nico