Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables
Quoting Philip Hazel:

> Everyone (who is posting) is in favour, so it must be a good idea. :-)
> If the job is done, it should be done properly. Allow names to consist
> entirely of digits,

This is already done, as named variables are identified by an underscore
after the c/m (e.g. acl_m_name1 in contrast to acl_m5). In the
consolidated code, this is not necessary any more.

>> Hmmm, while thinking about it, how do you handle undefined variables now?
>> Empty string or error?
> There are currently no undefined variables, only ones that you have not
> set. They are empty. With names, it would probably be better to generate
> an error so that a typo doesn't cause weird effects that are hard to
> diagnose. And perhaps we could make an incompatible change and fault the
> use of undefined numerical ones too.

Oh, are you sure about that? I think many people (including me) rely on
variables being empty by default. It's surely no big deal to set to the
empty string them at the beginning of the connect and mail acl. This
should probably be configurable (strict_var_names, like "use strict" in
perl).

> You can take your time polishing the patch. I am unlikely to work on the

I'll see when I can finish it. Would be good if others could also test it.

Have a nice vacation!