Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber, exim-dev, Nico Erfurth
Betreff: Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables
> I very much like that idea. From the distributions point of view, this
> eases our work since we now can use ACL variables in our default
> configuration without risking to break user setups.

Good point. I had overlooked that.

> Ok, there seems to be some consensus to consolidate named and numbered
> vars, so I'll rework the code to do that and use btrees. Let's see what
> Philip will say about it.

Everyone (who is posting) is in favour, so it must be a good idea. :-)
If the job is done, it should be done properly. Allow names to consist
entirely of digits, then the numbered ones can be handled like the named
ones. I would suggest using the existing tree functions; sooner or later
somebody is going to have 1000 variables and linear search will be slow.

> Hmmm, while thinking about it, how do you handle undefined variables now?
> Empty string or error?

There are currently no undefined variables, only ones that you have not
set. They are empty. With names, it would probably be better to generate
an error so that a typo doesn't cause weird effects that are hard to
diagnose. And perhaps we could make an incompatible change and fault the
use of undefined numerical ones too.

You can take your time polishing the patch. I am unlikely to work on the
Exim code or seriously look at patches before September (other stuff to
do this week and next, and then 2 weeks' vacation).