Re: [exim] Configuration variable to *not* remove duplicates…

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Laurent Fousse
À: exim-users
Sujet: Re: [exim] Configuration variable to *not* remove duplicates.
Hello,

* Philip Hazel [Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 09:25:45AM +0100]:
> This is entirely as documented (grep spec.txt for "duplicate" - it's all
> there). Exim does not do duplicate deliveries except to pipes that have
> *different* immediate parents. You would get two deliveries for:
>
> testexim1: |/some/pipe
> testexim2: |/some/pipe

Thanks for the clarification. I had understood the specs as such, but
had nonetheless spent some time re-reading it to see if I had missed
something.

> There are several reasons for not doing duplicate deliveries to
> mailboxes. One is the idea that mostly, people don't want them. Consider
> cases like:
>
> postmaster: joe
> hostmaster: joe
>
> and messages sent to both postmaster & hostmaster.

If it was only a matter of not wasting space and filtering time, I'd
rather have duplicates because it makes some operations simpler than
if I have to simulate duplicates in my MDA. Btw, if someone on this
list has an idea how I could have a `for' loop over the Envelope-To
header, it'd solve my problem.

> The other
> consideration is handling errors. The current implementation just
> remembers that it has delivered to such and such a mailbox. It would
> have to remember how many times it had done so, and, in the case of
> address redirection, which particular copy it had or had not delivered.
> And if one copy succeeds and one fails, do you send a bounce message or
> not? I didn't want to have to think that one out.

I agree with the desire to have a simpler design. I'll figure out
another way to solve my problem (like a dedicated domain for eoc
lists).

Thanks,

Laurent.