Re: [exim] smarthost/SMTP issue

Author: Robert Pawlowicz
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] smarthost/SMTP issue

W B Hacker wrote:
> Robert Pawlowicz wrote:
>
>> my update-exim4.conf.conf file:
>
> Looks like this beongs on the Debian-specific Exim list?
>> dc_eximconfig_configtype='satellite'
>> dc_other_hostnames='localhost.localdomain'
>> dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
>> dc_readhost='localhost'
>> dc_smarthost='mail.bulldoghome.com'
>> dc_relay_domains=''
>> dc_minimaldns='false'
>> dc_relay_nets=''
>> CFILEMODE='644'
>> dc_use_split_config='false'
>> dc_hide_mailname='true'
>> dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
>>

> Not familiar with these variants, but;
>
> - what does 'hostname <Return> get you?

sorry not sure what you mean here

> - Is 127.0.0.1 your actual external IP? If not, have you told Exim the real one
> or defaulted to it? (DHCP assigned?)

well - here is where I need help, that IP address is the localhost IP,
should I have my external IP in here? I tried it, but didn't change
anything.

> - Have you confirmed with the folks at what used to be 'Mercury House' that you
> want 'mail.bulldog.com' and not 'mx1.bulldog.com' for the smarthost, whether
> they expect you on port 25 or a submission port, and if you are exepted to
> authenticate, and if so, how?

I'm having little luck with C&W, other than 'we only help people set up
outlook express'. I've banged on a few doors but haven't gotten anywhere.

> And one presumes you are not *really* using 'example.com' for anything but
> obfuscation.

no - is used example.com to obfuscate... I'm not quite that bad:)

>> Robert Pawlowicz wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to set up Exim so that my testing server at home will send
>>> emails. I'm running RT (request tracker) and PHP4 and I'd like to be
>>> able to use both properly.
>>>
>>> I set out to configure Exim4 on debian and at first glance it looked
>>> relatively straight forward - as I imagined it should be. I'd actually
>>> set this up a while ago so was completely new to it.
>>>
>>> Any way, firstly I thought I'd use my usual SMTP mail server which is
>>> completely separate from my ISP.
>
> Can you enter yourself as a permitted relay_host on that server?

I don't know... how can I find out?

> >> All I would need to do is authenticate
>>> and all would be done. However I noticed very quickly that it wasn't
>>> sending emails to any address other than the domain for the SMTP server.
>>> For example the SMTP host is mail.example.com - I could only send emails
>>> to rob@???.
>>>
>>> I gave up with that and figured my ISP would be easier - well not quite,
>>> all I get back from them is a 550 relay not permitted. Again I was
>>> shocked at my email client has no such problem. So long as I
>>> authenticate correctly surely it should work?
>>>

> An MTA does not ordinarily expect to connect the same way an MUA does.

As I began to suspect.

> If you want to act as an MSA client where an MUA is normally expected, you will
> have to 'teach it' to connect on the submission port and authenticate as an MUA
> would do.

Sounds hideously complex... I'm only trying to get this to work so I can
get on with my real job!

>>> Any way please help - I really need to get these emails working, it's
>>> making testing some applications a nightmare.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Robert Pawlowicz
>>>

> You should be able to test almost entirely within your internal LAN by setting
> up for 'IP literals' and/or running a local DNS with test domains and pointing
> to it at the top of ~/etc/resolv.conf (or Linux equivalent). ~/etc/hosts (or
> Linux equivalent) along with some additional Exim settings might also do.
>
> If you are going to run a public-facing smtp server, you should check Bulldog's
> T&C carefully before you proceed. Many broadband providers forbid that.

Well that sounds about right :(
Despite the lack of info I'm getting from customer support, I should
imagine that my queries will result in being told that I'm not allowed
to do it, or in fact the reason that I'm getting the 550 Relay not
permitted message is because Relaying is not permitted!

Thanks anyway.

Rob

--

Agreeable Notion Ltd