Re: [exim] Callout cache domain records with use_sender

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Ian Eiloart
To: Dave Evans, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Callout cache domain records with use_sender

--On 3 August 2006 21:17:53 +0100 Dave Evans <davide-20060629@???>
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 06:19:10PM +0100, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>> It's not a bug - it's a fault in coscon's configuration. Rejecting NULL
>> senders breaks lots of things. Have you complained to their postmaster?
>
> I'm well aware their configuration is broken. My question is, is it
> deliberate that a callout with use_sender can fail, based on a cached
> result from when use_sender was not in effect?

Ah, sorry I didn't read your question carefully. I don't know whether it's
deliberate, and only the author of the code can tell you whether this
scenario was considered. However, I think the behaviour is reasonable.

Even if Exim repeated the callout, it would still fail for DSNs, vacation
messages, and so on. So, there would still be a whole class of messages
that can't be delivered to coscon. When you know their email system is
broken, it's time to switch communication channels. Changing Exim's
behaviour would only half fix the problem, and give coscon's admins one
less reason to get clued up about email.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex